Sunday, September 28, 2008

A good Flex tutorial to start with

Even though I am hevily concentrated in using Flex as a development platform , I am still relatively new to all the opportunities that Flex could provide to a developer, or as in my case a lazy information architect. Moreover, I am always willing to share a good beginner's tutorial, and thus attract the attention of more enthusiasts That's why, I was curious when I approached a presentation done by the Michigan Flex User's Group, called unambiguosly "Your first Flex Application". The tutorial, even though targeted at Flex 2, describes nothing that you cannot do in Flex 3. Basically, I might say that it gives an example of the 20% of Flex related stuff, that a developer will deal with 80% of the time (the 80-20 rule), namely:

1. Flex Builder (perfect for project management/ has integrated code completion/ based on Eclipse)
2. MXML
3. including ActionScript 3 code into MXML
4. Data-binding in MXML
4. using MXML and ActionScript 3 to connect to a remote web service (Cold Fusion in this case), and extracting data based on specific requests.
5. using data-driven Flex components such as Tree and GridView to display the extracted data in an understandable format.

No comments: