Friday, June 5, 2009

Random Thoughts 1

So many things in my head. Random ideas, memories, impressions everything. I guess I should start writing them down at some point. With time,they will probably turn into a proper flow of information. Might be very disorganized at the beginning, though.

Anyway, I've been in Germany for a little more than a couple of months already. My general impressions are that the country offers a lot of opportunities for young and ambitious persons, however, the good knowledge of the German language is almost always a MUST. I don't know whether it is specific for the place I'm living in (Magdeburg) or it's common for the entire country, but I've had hard times communicating with Germans in English. Apart from professors and student colleagues, very few people speak English, or at least try by all means to avoid using it.

At the beginning, this was a bit of a shock for me, because I somehow had overestimated the universality of the English language. Anyway, I've always wanted to learn German, so this has been a perfect opportunity to do so. I studied it in high school, but as it happens with anything done in high school, one has to start it from scratch afterwards. That's what I did. For quite a lot of time I didn't see any signs of improvement, but this week I might say, I am definitely feeling my German better. I guess, it is true that patience and consistent practice might make miracles happen.

No comments: